Thursday 19 April 2007

Hospital Myth #1

Life is full of disappointments.

I’m disappointed when I wake up in the morning and see another grey sky.
I’m disappointed every single time England play a football tournament.
I’m disappointed every time they announce a new series of Big Brother because it means that we have to endure 3 months of fat chavs shouting at each other.

But, I think one of the biggest disappointments of my life so far came in my second year at medical school when we first went onto the wards as students. Maybe I really believed the image of nurses that is portrayed by the media and by teenage folk-lore. Perhaps I thought that nurses were sexy minxes who are always well up for it.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

This is a myth. Nurses, by and large, are not sexy at all. They are usually dumpy and 40. Don’t get me wrong, nurses are lovely people but if you’ve got the idea that working on a hospital ward is like being in a Jay-Z video, you’re going to be disappointed.

It’s not all bad though. It took me a little while to realise this but now I know that as far as hospital talent goes, the best looking staff are always the physiotherapists. Maybe hotornot.com forms part of the criteria for entry into physiotherapy school but it’s uncanny how all the best looking people in the hospital (both male and female) are the physios.

I was chatting to a physio about this at a house party a while ago and he was saying that at uni, the physio parties were always rammed just because everyone knew there were guaranteed to be loads of good looking people there.

One of the physios on our ward at the moment, Gemma is an absolute cutie. I think that if you have someone to flirt with a bit at work, it makes the day that bit more interesting. Gemma seems like a top chick too and she keeps dropping hints about “us all going out together” so maybe something could well develop…

Watch this space…

4 comments:

The Angry Medic said...

What, you mean it's not all like Grey's Anatomy with nurses dragging you into storage cupboards around every corner? Dangit. Now I'm gonna have to find another vocation. Is law really like Ally McBeal?

Heh. You write really well. I'm adding you to my blogroll! Hope you don't mind the heading I've given you :)

Spirit of 1976 said...

As a (male) student nurse I can vouch for this being true - both about nurses and physiotherapists. I soon realised during my first year of nursing studies that the only attractive women on the course were the ones who wanted to tell me at length about their relationship with Jesus. Dab nab it.

The physios on the other hand. Gleaming icons of physical perfection, every single one. Sadly most of them are too busy doing abdominal crunches and buffing their triceps to waste time on silly things like having sex.

Dr Michael Anderson said...

Cheers Angry Medic, I've responded in kind and now you're on my blogroll now too.

Spirit of 1976 - don't crush my hope! I'm hoping for good things at the weekend...

Anonymous said...

Well they're by nature bodyaware people,that's why they do that job.