Thursday 20 December 2007

Creature of the night

My theatre list finished early today and I was lucky enough to leave work by about 4pm. I got changed, picked up my bag, my coat and my books and headed outside. As soon as I stepped out of the door, I almost took a step back. It took me a couple of seconds to realise what had startled me, but then it became obvious.

It was the twilight. In that moment I realised that I hadn’t actually seen any daylight at all since Sunday afternoon. I wake up in the darkness and it’s still dark by the time I get to work. I spend the day in the operating theatre where there are no windows and by the time I’ve woken up the last patient of the day, it’s dark again, so I don’t get to see the sun he I go to see my post-op patients on the ward.

I’ve become a creature of the night and I don’t really like it. Is it too early to start looking forward to summer?

2 comments:

Jo said...

Not at all! I've been looking forward to the sun coming back since the middle of November. I think that we need to start sacrificing virgins to the Great Sun God :-) (there have to be one or two left somewhere?)

Anonymous said...

I'd be much more worried if you'd become a "creature of the day"!!!

Roll-on Summer!