Tuesday 4 December 2007

Reasons I don't miss Gen Med #2 - Calluses



As you can imagine, being a junior doctor in the modern NHS I spent a hell of a lot of my working time on “documentation” AKA paperwork. Writing in the patient’s notes, copying out drug charts, writing the request forms for referrals, writing out the discharge summaries for patients to take back to their GPs, writing requests for consultations, the list goes on and on…

Unsurprisingly, this all took its toll on my fingertips and over the past few years I have developed impressive calluses on the first three digits of my right hand.

In contrast, in anaesthetics, I spend much more of my time doing hands-on stuff with my patients and much less of my time on paperwork. As a result, four months after leaving General Medicine, my calluses are slowly shrinking.

No comments: