Monday 21 January 2008

Junior Doctor?

I've just been pondering the title of my blog "The Junior Doctor" and I was thinking to myself; "How junior am I, really"

I've been studying and working in the field of medicine for about a decade now, and I think that's quite a long time. I've worked in each of the acute specialties and have spent countless hours in hospital. I'm sure I've treated and been involved in the care of thousands of patients by now. Each one unique, each with theor own story...

I'm fully aware that I still have bucket-loads to learn, but after a decade in the field, am I really junior anymore?

My job title says I am, but the question is - if I had spent the same amount of time in any other profession (eg teaching, law, nursing, banking) would I still be considered to be junior at my stage?

Answers on a postcard...

3 comments:

The Little Medic said...

You're junior until your blog says otherwise ;)

What other options are there? you're sort of in the middle.

Anonymous said...

who decided on the 'junior' title for qualified doctors anyway?

If it wasn't for this title that underestimates doctor's vital role in the NHS, Professor Tooke would not have had to stress the fact when giving evidence at the HSC. The current blur in roles could have even been avoided IMO.

Anonymous said...

You can't have your cake and eat it!

Of all careers, medicine tends to be the one held in highest regard and therefore seniority is hardest earned. It's tough, but true!