Tuesday 22 January 2008

Username: Password:




In order to access NewTown Hospital’s I.T. systems, I have four different usernames and four different passwords.

One set is for the PAS patient information system which tells me whereabouts in the hospital the patients are, when their clinic appointments are, who their GP is etc…

Another set gives me access to the patient’s Blood Results system.

A third allows me to look at patient’s X-rays and scans and see their reports.

And the final set gives me access to the hospital email which gives me useful information like when the various IT systems will be offline for “essential maintenance.”

The systems make me change the passwords every fortnight or so and I have to confess that I really do find it difficult to keep track of which is my current password for each system.

Maybe I should write them all down and stick them on the side of one of the monitors…

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And this new technology is meant to be more accessible than the good old-fashioned hospital chart? :-D

The Little Medic said...

I must have 3 or so usernames and passwords at the hospital which on its own wouldn't be too bad but combined with the 30+ other usernames and passwords I have for various things its a nightmare

Jo said...

And I presume that they cross check the passwords, so you can't just have the same password for each of them?

Anonymous said...

You're lucky. I have six different passwords for the hospital's systems and a few more for the medical school. Plus a card and a password for Choose and Book - not that I ever use that! The commonest cause of a call to IT in our hospital is people forgetting their passwords. Worse the hospital insists on changing the passwords every few weeks. But not altogether. They are all out of phase with one another. It's driving me crazy. I have asked if I can be microchipped such that any computer within a few feet of my will allow me access to everything that I need. They think I'm joking. If you youngsters find it difficult think what its like for use old folk who weren't brought up with these wretched log in screens