Monday 5 January 2009

2008 and all that

This post is a few days late as I’ve been too busy enjoying myself. I’m going to wish everybody a belated happy new year and a very healthy, happy and prosperous 2009.

New Year, New Beginnings, but also a time, I feel, to reflect back on the year that’s passed and think about how things have turned out. Have I done everything that I intended to a year ago? Do I think that I am generally happier now than I was twelve months ago? If not, then why? And what am I going to do about it?

I was driving back from my parents’ place the other day and I started to think about the high points and the low points of 2008, and in am award ceremony style, I’m going to tell you about my personal highs and lows of 2008

Inspiration of the year

She’s battling her third different cancer in seven years. She’s lost those close to her but she’s not giving up. Seeing Mrs Campbell slowly pick herself up from her personal low, pull herself through her dark days then slowly get better and eventually leave ITU and then hospital altogether was one of the most inspiring things I’ve ever seen. We all think we’ve got our own personal problems, but they’re nothing compared to what this woman’s been through. When you see someone come through what she’s had to go through, it puts your own life and your own issues firmly in perspective. Stand up and take a bow, Mrs Campbell, you are my inspiration of 2008.

Personal achievement of the year

I’d like to say that passing my FRCA primary exam after only 14 months in the job is my biggest achievement this year but, on reflection, I don't think it actually is. I think that my biggest achievement is that I’m slowly and inexorably becoming a better anaesthetist. In January last year, I couldn’t do half the things I can do now and I feel that as each day passes, I’m getting better and better. Earlier in the year, I had a bit of a crisis of confidence, but that’s passed now, and I feel more determined that ever to try and raise my game and be a great doctor.

Runner up: Passing those bloody exams.

Low point of the year.

Driving home after a shift in which there was a particularly horrific trauma call, I had to pull over to the side of the road because I could no longer see through my own tears. Maybe one day, I’ll post about what happened, but at the moment it still upsets me too much to think about it. This job can sometimes break you right down.

Runner up: MMC 2008-9. Nothing seems to be happening. Nobody’s admitting responsibility for this mess and things HAVE NOT CHANGED. My generation of junior doctors still have no jobs to apply for. The Tooke Report seems to have been deferred until people have forgotten what the fuss was about. The situation on the ground is awful.

Villian of the year

I’m lucky enough to have a great group of friends and to work with people who obviously share the same aim as I – to do the best for our patients however we can. I’ve had the odd disagreement at work, but I’m fortunate enough to have not come across anyone who I would remotely describe as a villain. In the absence of any nominations from my personal life, I’m going to give this award to the evil scum that goes by the name of Robert Mugabe. How many more must die Robert? How many?

Runners up: City Bankers – you guys have a hell of a lot to answer for

People power moment of the year

The reinstatement of Dr Scot Junior after stirling work and public pressure from Dr Rant, Jobbing Doctor, Witch Doctor, Dr Pal among others.

Runner up: Obama’s election

Hero of the year

The bissest prize from me has to go to FashionGirl, my girlfriend. She’s stood by me through some really tough times this year. She was there when I was having some really dark days and she’s been there to celebrate some really good times too. I really admire her in all sorts of ways and think she’s truly fantastic. She’s my hero, without a shadow of a doubt.

Runner up: Dr Harrison

Anyway, those are just the ones I just thought of from the top of my head. How about you? What were your personal highs and lows of last year?

Once again, I wish everybody a very happy 2009!

1 comment:

Nurse To Doc said...

I love your blog - it is one of my favourites because you give such a clear idea of why working as doctor can be brilliant and also crap.

Happy New Year mate
anna
xx