Saturday 18 August 2007

My medical student is flirting with me… (Wednesday)

…and she’s really rather attractive. Her name is Lizzie and she’s currently doing her intensive care/anaesthetics placement.

I’m not one of those men who think that the every female with a pulse is secretly swooning when I walk past, but, as a reformed (wannabe) playboy, I think I have a pretty good idea of when a woman is signalling “I like you.”

It’s the touch that’s not quite necessary. It’s the gaze that lasts a moment longer than needed. It’s the laughter at things that I say that are only vaguely funny. It’s the turning up and coming to talk to me when there’s no need to really… Reading between the lines I’d definitely say Lizzie is flirting like a pro.

At first I wasn’t sure if she was just one of those flirty girls who are like that with everyone, but now I’m pretty sure she’s giving me “special attention”. Like I said before, she’s a very attractive young lady and I admit that I’ve been flirting back a little because, to be honest, I quite like it.

Throughout medical school and into my first year as a doctor, I was very anti work-related relationships. Looking back, I don’t even remember what my reasons were but I’d actively avoid dating/pulling/shagging other medical students, nurses or anyone who I worked with. From this point of view, I’ve mellowed a lot in the last couple of years and am not so dogmatic about it now.

This leads on to the obvious question of is anything going to happen between me and Lizzie?

One of my best friends told me: “Don’t even go there, Mike. Pulling a medical student is just wrong.”

But he’s been going out with the same woman for six and a half years now, so what would he know? You can talk about power and its (ab)uses but it’s not as if Lizzie is a schoolgirl and I’m her teacher is it? She’s 23 years old and I think that makes her a big girl and quite able to make her own mind up.

For now, I’m quite happy to sit back, let her make the moves and wait and see what happens…

2 comments:

Calavera said...

and the best of luck with it all!

Urology Surgery India said...

I found a bunch of good articles on this subject here. Thanks!