Monday 11 August 2008

It begins again

My reprieve is over.

After passing the FRCA Primary MCQs, I gave myself a couple of months free from studying, to relax a little and generally not to think about exams. That time is over and now I’m going to have to knuckle down and start studying again for the FRCA Primary OSCE/Vivas, which is the second (tougher) part of the exam.

The actual exam itself is held in London at the start of October, so I’ve got a couple of months to go. At the moment, I’m feeling really dispirited when I even think about it. I’m having real trouble motivating myself to pick up a text book and do any studying at all.

My tactic is going to be to revise in the “goal-orientated” way that’s seen me through all my exams so far. What I mean is that I’m going to practice doing the exam as many times as possible before the exam day itself. Practically, this is going to involve collaring as many consultants and SpRs as I can and getting them to grill me on the physics, pharmacology and physiology related to anaesthesia. It’s going to be tiring and tough, and it all seems a bit daunting at the moment. Hopefully, I can once again find the determination I had earlier in the year that saw me through the first exam but, to be honest with you, I’m just not feeling it at the moment.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once you get into routine your motivation will increase!

Lily said...

Most of the time I feel exactly like that cat in the picture!

Good luck with revision! Once you get properly started with it I'm sure your motivation will appear from somewhere.

Bright-eyed said...

Good luck with it all - I can't imagine how stressful it must be performing well for dozens of hours a week doing your job, while finding time to study properly...

Jo said...

Good luck with it all - I hope your motivation picks up again :-)