Thursday 7 August 2008

It goes on and on and on…

There has been a change in the way that junior doctors are introduced to their jobs. I’ve just done the second of my three days of induction. Three days! I’ve had lecture after lecture on topics such as how to fill in death certificates and drug charts, how to navigate the computer systems, infection prevention, the four hour A&E wait, fire safety, medical devices etc… I’ve had practical tutorials on manual handling and CPR.

I don’t think that this stuff is really aimed at me because I know the vast majority of the stuff already. It’s aimed at the brand new FY1 doctors who are coming out of medical school into their very first jobs. I think this is great. I do admit that I feel a lot of it is very tedious, but it was good to go over some of the stuff again keep fresh in my mind.

I think the big driver for this change has been the setting up of foundation schools for doctors in their first two years of working (also known as FY1 and FY2 doctors). The long induction process is an example of how new doctors are now much more protected that they used to be. Personally, I think the new inductions are definitely a good thing.

On my very first day as a doctor (only a few years ago), we had just one morning of induction and then we were thrown on to the wards to just get on with it. I wasn’t told where anywhere was and I wasn’t even given passwords to access the computer systems. What made it even worse was that my first ever shift as a doctor was a night shift. It was horrific and, to this day, I still shudder when I think about it.

Another big advantage in having three days of induction is that we actually get a chance to meet the other doctors in the hospital. I’ve had a chance to have a chat with the surgical, paediatric and medical juniors and it’s really nice to try and get to know a little about the people who’ll be working in other specialties. Everyone I’ve met seems pretty friendly, so, fingers-crossed, my new hospital will be a nice, sociable place to work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear new docs are finally getting a proper induction to hospital work. How many lives were lost because of the old consultant laggards and their "oh we should throw them in at the deep end" culture? It has taken the stick of medical litigation to both improve the safety of patients and the training of doctors.